• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it my imagination or do the Raptor Lake CPUs still support DDR4?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

According to the datasheet for the 14900k it still supports DDR4 but WHY? Do any motherboard manufacturers make motherboards that still support DDR4? What kind of speeds/latencies can you squeeze out of a 14900k, 14900ks, 14900kf if you use DDR4? I had though memory manufacturers had stopped making high speed DDR4 parts?

Because DDR5 was expensive when new and not too much better than DDR4 at the time it was released. It offered users a way into the new platform without buying DDR5. DDR4 boards were $10-$20 cheaper as well.

There are dozens of Z690 and Z790 boards with DDR4. Next gen Intel CPUs will not support DDR4.

As far as speeds, I don't think it was much higher than anything before it.

So ED you can't get a guaranteed 4400+ MT/s out of Raptor Lake parts w/DDR4? Wasn't DDR4-4400 the fastest DDR4 ever produced? Or have they produced even faster DDR4 parts? Are there any memory manufacturers who even bother making DDR4 parts anymore?

There are (or were, as I don't think anyone manufactures that anymore) DDR4 kits up to 5333+ (Micron 2x8/16GB and Hynix 2x8GB). Max memory clocks highly depend on the motherboard and memory controller, so you are limited to AMD APUs and 11th+ gen Intels. Motherboards also need optimized BIOS, but there are no BIOS releases for new CPUs that also OC RAM high. It's because no one cares about optimizing motherboards for old technology when overclockers and enthusiasts go for the new stuff.

DDR4 is still in production and will be for a couple of years. Some specific DDR3 are still manufactured. However, the same as in previous generations, right now are mainly high density and not the highest overclocking ICs. Every generation goes from low-density and low frequency -> mid-density but quite high frequency and low latency -> high-density and high frequency, but not the best latency (unless you can push it really high).

Available 4800 is a single-rank Micron/Hynix at quite relaxed timings. The last ICs both companies released.

I don't think anyone is really pushing DDR4 with the latest CPUs. I only heard that some users had problems with clocks as high as those on 11th gen+Z590. They still should make about 5000. It still doesn't matter much, as the fastest will be dual-rank kits at lower frequencies.

Soon DDR5 will be replaced or maybe modified with built-in controllers for gaming series and different form factors for mobile devices.
The first laptops with the new memory standard are already available, even though most new laptops still use DDR4 SODIMM or its soldered form.
Here is one of the videos (you will probably find something better) -

Last edited:
So ED you can't get a guaranteed 4400+ MT/s out of Raptor Lake parts w/DDR4? Wasn't DDR4-4400 the fastest DDR4 ever produced? Or have they produced even faster DDR4 parts? Are there any memory manufacturers who even bother making DDR4 parts anymore?
DDR4 itself was never specified above 3200 as far as I know. Anything running above that is overclocked so it is whatever module makers want to try and do.

Soon DDR5 will be replaced or maybe modified with built-in controllers for gaming series and different form factors for mobile devices.
The first laptops with the new memory standard are already available, even though most new laptops still use DDR4 SODIMM or its soldered form.
The new standard is only physical. LPDDR is nothing new. It'll be interesting to see if we'll see a bigger shift towards LPDDR replacing DDR in the laptop space with the new module. Guess it will come down to cost, as always. LPDDR generally offers higher bandwidths over the contemporaneous DDR standard. If you're making APU based laptops where bandwidth matters more, that will help a bit.

The new standard is only physical. LPDDR is nothing new. It'll be interesting to see if we'll see a bigger shift towards LPDDR replacing DDR in the laptop space with the new module. Guess it will come down to cost, as always. LPDDR generally offers higher bandwidths over the contemporaneous DDR standard. If you're making APU based laptops where bandwidth matters more, that will help a bit.

LPDDR is nothing new, but this will be LPDDR5X on replaceable modules with much higher frequencies.

To me the idea is to move forward with technology so ddr4 will fade away and dd5 & ddr6 will be the staple. And as you all know it's not just computers it's all technology that is always on the move forward IMO.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-14 081309.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-14 081309.png
    22.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot 2024-05-14 081402.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-14 081402.png
    20.9 KB · Views: 4
Did U ever consider DDR4 for your new build?
These days, unless you're building an extreme budget build, it shouldn't be a consideration. When the platform/ddr5 was released and things were 'slow' and ddr5 was incredibly expensive, it was more than viable. But today, the price difference isn't nearly as much.

Back