• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop Will Not Boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tank Geek

Hey folks, I tried to upgrade my neighbors RAM and now it won't boot. The F12 antenna button stays lit up too. I have tried the old RAM again and still nothing..Any ideas? Try new brand new RAM?:salute:
Thanks,
Kenny

I swear to not work on anyone elses machines again..:chair:

What brand is it? I had the issue with an HP mobile workstation a couple of years ago. Was quite old (ivy bridge generation). Exactly the same problem adding ram, no boot, removing it. Problem remained the same).

II was lucky enough it had 4 years support and I called the hotline. The guy was very helpful and it was quite a common problem. The bios did not like the new RAM.

There is a sequence to do with power button athat resets the bios to factory settings. Can't remember the exact sequence though, but it fixed the issue.

That sounds like my issue. Thank you for sharing that with me. I will poke around and see if I can find the sequence.

That sounds like my issue. Thank you for sharing that with me. I will poke around and see if I can find the sequence.

a manual might reveal the sequence

Edit: Doesn't removing the mobo battery also reset the settings?

Last edited:
What brand is it? I had the issue with an HP mobile workstation a couple of years ago. Was quite old (ivy bridge generation). Exactly the same problem adding ram, no boot, removing it. Problem remained the same).

II was lucky enough it had 4 years support and I called the hotline. The guy was very helpful and it was quite a common problem. The bios did not like the new RAM.

There is a sequence to do with power button athat resets the bios to factory settings. Can't remember the exact sequence though, but it fixed the issue.

Sorry, it is a HP Pavilion.

I found a HHD issue, tried number of times to post the pic and it wont load.

Are you in Advanced (Go Advanced button) when you are trying to upload an image? It does not work in quick reply.

Yes I was in Advanced...Oh well, I rendered the machine a loss. Why they dont put a service door for the HDD is dumb. Thanks for you guys help.

On many older laptops there was a service door for the hard drive. Many or most newer laptops son't have service doors, however. Even some of them have internal batteries. It's the move to thinner chassis.

A hard reset will solve the issue of not booting from the MotherBoard.
Remove the battery of the laptop then Hold the power button for more than 10 sec.

This will reset the BIOS and you would get access to the system.
Don't put new RAM sticks into older systems again before checking the manual.

Back