• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Linux boot manager ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

minoukat

I am considering downloading Linux Mandrake 8.0 (or any other version), and have some questions !

1. Do all versions of linux have a boot manager ?
2. I want to dual boot it with Windows 98SE. Do I need 98 installed to make it dual boot, or do I need to install it after linux ?

Thanks a lot

Installing Windows 98 first will be the easiest way, cause you won't have to edit your bootmanager after you boot with a floppy when you install it after Linux.

Most distros come with a boot loader, and I'm pretty sure Mandrake is one of them. :)

Actually...you're doing what I did...except I learned the hard way...very hard way...re-installed about 10-12 times...

Wipe your HD, etc...then install Windows FIRST...its very important that you install win98 first because it Windows98 installer does not recognise Linux Native partitions and will try to re-format the whole HD, removing Linux if it has been installed before Windows...

You could install Linux first on a FAT32 partition but that means that Linux would work slower and I think its better to have 3 partitions:
One Linux Native
One FAT32 with your Windows OS
and the rest of the HD in FAT32 format so both Linux and Windows can access it...

Also, make sure you have your Linux Native partition BELOW the 1222 cylinder of your hard disk...Disk Druid will make sure you do this, but plan ahead for it before installing Windows...

And yes, Mandrake should have Linux Loader (LILO) and you will be prompted to configure that before installing Linux, so its better to have Windows already installed so it gets detected...

Hope that saves you from making the same mistakes I've made

Yes, any comnplete distro worth its salt comes with a bootloader. LILO is the most popular one, and the one that I personally feel most comfortable. Mandrake 7.1 came with GRUB (The GNU GRand Unified Bootloader) but I don't know about 8.

LILO can only boot if the WHOLE of the linux partition is below the 1024th cylinder ie within the first 8Gig.

THe best way to do this is:

a) clean the HDD (with fdisk) and make a primary, bootable partition about 7.8Gig (to be safe). Format it with FAT32 (just use DOS format command on it).

b) install windows 98SE on this partition ONLY.

c) boot the mandrake install CD and use Disk druid to create a ~20Meg partition (~ means 'approx' by the way, to save confusion). This will be your /boot partition and will conatin the essential worky bitz of your system.
use the rest of you space as you like BUT make a small (about 128MB) partition for swap space. Even though you may have 256 or 384MB of RAM, you REALLY should make a swap partition.

d) enjoy linux.

NOTE: Although LILO needs the kernel image to be before the 1024th Cylinder (or within the first 8Gig) GRUB is capable of booting partitions on any part of the disk. If possible it might be easier to use GRUB as this removes the need for a /boot partition.

PS. If this still isnt clear, dont stumble in the dark - post again and someone will still help.

OK, I only have windows 98 on Compaq Restore CDs. Will that be ok ? If I need a complete version of windows, I could install windows 3.1 (came with an AST computer) and then upgrade to windows 98SE upgrade(came with the compaq). And do I need a partition for Linux or will it install in the same as win98 without deleting anything ?

Ok, one last thing (if other ideas don't come to me by the time !), does LILO or GRUB come with the downloaded version of Linux ? (I found at tocows some versions of Linux)

Thanks

ANY decent distro comes with a bootloader - you need it to get into Linux.

penguinfreak said:
ANY decent distro comes with a bootloader - you need it to get into Linux.

Like Linux-Mandrake and Corel Linux ?

BTW, just formated other computer, which has Windows ME. Could I install Linux on that one and dual boot it with ME ?

Thanks

Yes a dual boot with ME will work fine. Every current Linux distro will install a boot manager during the OS install so don't worry about that.

There is always a way to multiboot whatever you want. Some time ago I had W2K, W98, Be, and 2 Linux distros all on one machine! Had to get a little creative for that one though.

to boot windows (if you haven't already got a LILO entry), edit /etc/lilo.conf and add the following to the end:

# windows
other = /dev/hda1
table = /dev/hda
label = windows

Back