• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ps2cho

Perfect. I think this forum needed a Mobile department, as everyone was going into the general category! and i dont think notebooks are considered "general hardware"

Thanks !

This had been brought up before, and had been deemed not necessary, due to a low volume of threads posted concerning laptops in the past.

But, laptops are evolving... Today, more and more CPU's are socketed, and therefore swappable/upgradable, as are video "cards" in some of the higher end rigs.

Lower end systems are becoming very reasonalbe in price, making them feasable for "modding" type projects. Mid-range lappys can fall into one, the other, and even both of these catagories.

I wrote up a little upgrade article for the front page, that was based on Joe Citarella's piece from earlier this year. My article was followed by two more within the week.

Plus, there's been a number of laptops sold in our Classifieds recently.

Add all of this together, and the time is finally right to give this the chance some of us feel it deserves.

Have fun with it guys!

Cheers!

speed bump said:
Yay this is cool. Its interesting to see how far laptops have come in the last 5years and I think have sections likes this will just push the further.

Absolutely.

When you can pick up a mid range unit for short $, and swap in a faster CPU and graphics card, double the system memory, etc....

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if within the next few years, you'd see graphics cards for laptops at CompUSA, alongside the desktop models. The laptop ram is already there....

We've been running lappy CPU's in our desktops for a while now (well, some of us, anyways.. :p ).

Cooling is the only area that's tough. I'll bet you see aftermarket items for this soon too.

I asked for this same type of forum several months back, and was told by a few people it had been brought up, and shot down several times, and it would never happen...

Glad to see it. GJ guys.

Considering the number of posts in the section since its creation(which was what, a few hours ago) I think this forum is/was ripe for the creation.

I agree. I'm excited that we've finally been able to add this area, and it's seeming to be busy enough to merit it's existance.

Sucka said:
I asked for this same type of forum several months back, and was told by a few people it had been brought up, and shot down several times, and it would never happen...

Glad to see it. GJ guys.

I think the color of your stars has a bit to do with it... and how many allies you have in high places ;) :D.

diggingforgold said:
I think the color of your stars has a bit to do with it... and how many allies you have in high places ;) :D.

Nope...it is by those who do ask for something like this that we seriously start to monitor how many threads scattered throughout the forums could/would fit. When we can see that there is enough interest, we give'er a shot :)

Back