• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sub 100 budget RGB mechanical keyboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Natani

Registered
SO I have a few I am looking at getting, but reviews seem to be all over the place, each site varying on them. My choices so far are Razer Blackwidow wired, SteelSeries Apex 5 and CoolerMaster wired CK552. I been seeing reviews that say to stick away from Carsair ones, which I found odd because I have always had good luck with Corsair. But it would be between the Strafe (non RGB which sucks) or the k68 wired. I cannot say the prices of these 5 keyboards other than I get them at a great discount due to my employer (GeekSquad/BestBuy, home theater installtion). Realistically the cheapest ones would be the non Corsair ones, except maybe the strafe but I am not sure if I want the red since my build is Green/Purple lighting.

Anyways, between those 5, whats would someone recommend? I am personally leaning towards the SteelSeries Apex 5.

Oh the reason I said under 100 is because I cannot say how much my discount is on said products, but I will say its not retail prices.

Are you looking for a full keyboard? 10-key less?
Which type of switches are you looking for?

Those two questions are honestly the biggest determining factor of which boards will be a fit for you. Most common of the below are red, black, brown, and blue.

mechanical-keyboard-switch-guide-e1469983482645.png

Are you looking for a full keyboard? 10-key less?
Which type of switches are you looking for?

Those two questions are honestly the biggest determining factor of which boards will be a fit for you. Most common of the below are red, black, brown, and blue.

View attachment 210257

Ah yes, sorry I should have said. As far as switches, I only ever used cherry reds. I prefer 10 key because I have big hands and find the compact boards to small, but if I can find a 75% board that's fine. But with switches, it doesn't matter to much to me

One more followup question, what is your main usage? Gaming, typing, etc?

I'd actually recommend a Cherry key tester if you can throw a few extra $$$ at it and don't mind waiting to test and a second order

I do a fair amount of general typing plus some gaming, so similar to what you're doing. My first mechanical keyboard was a Das Keyboard with Browns, kind of what ATM suggested, and they are very good keys. But then I jumped around a bit, grabbed a tester and decided on Clears. Got a 10-key Code off Massdrop with them, and fairly happy, just because having a slightly higher activation force gives them a more solid feel and keeps me from bottoming them out as often.

The downside to keyboards, like most HIDs in the end it really comes down to personal preference and opinion. One man's "perfect keyboard" is another man's doorstop.

I tried a few of the cheaper variants off Amazon for the past couple of years.

I just recently got a Razer BlackWidow and I love it. Could not be happier.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NZX84HB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Of course, I had to tinker. Got some red and white key caps for specific keys. NOW - its perfect.

Like it so much, I got a Mamba to complete the set:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F816PH9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Again - love it.

Back