• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

System Shock Remake: pretty good

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

I picked this title up sometime after my involuntary vacation from overclockers; it's pretty faithful to the original game, which has its pluses and minuses. The space station design seems more believable than say, Prey 2017, but not as good or believable as Dead Space 2's The Sprawl.

Nightdive eliminated some of the useless weapons from the original game. For example, the original game had some non-lethal weapons (rubber bullets, bean bag type shotgun rounds) that were only useful against the weakest of enemies. Nightdive also eliminated some of the more ludicrous enemies from the original(some enemies were blobs like from the movie The Blob).

The ability to hack cyborg and robot enemies in the game was mostly useless, unlike say, in System Shock 2 where hacking turrets made them fight for you rather than merely disable them for a short period of time.

Just like the original System Shock there is a timed difficulty mode. In this mode, you have so many hours of in-game play to stop the firing of the mining laser against earth, if you fail it's game over.

It seemed to me there were either more levels in the original system shock or that the levels were bigger than in the remake.

One shocking thing is the relative size of the teams that programmed/designed the original game vs. the remake. The team responsible for the original system shock is roughly a 20th the size of the team who programmed/designed the remake.

Nightdive's recent patch for the game addressed some complaints from gamers about the game (in particular the size of the recycling chamber, which can now recycle much bigger items).

I'd definitely recommend this game to anyone who liked Prey or the OG System Shock or System Shock 2.

I don't understand why they would remake System Shock instead of just remaking System Shock 2...

That's like remaking the original Street Fighter...

I don't understand why they would remake System Shock instead of just remaking System Shock 2...

That's like remaking the original Street Fighter...
System Shock 2 had its own design issues, I really didn't like the military ship part that became one w/the body of the many, aside from that though I thought it was a good sequel to System Shock, Shodan even made a comeback. I'm not sure if Warren Spector had anything to do w/SS2 though and System Shock 3, which Warren Spector did have something to do with, is now officially dead.

Why did the System Shock Remake crew pick the PiL song Order of Death for the outro? The song was already ten years old by the time the original System Shock was released. I'm not even sure if PiL was all that popular in the 1990s.

Back