• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What UPS do I need?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pepi93

Greetings,

Looking into buying a UPS unit for my RIG. All details of RIG are in my SIG.

What do I need it for?

I live in a Condo (In Toronto, Canada)...

From time to time we get power interruptions. Some are very short but we've also had blackouts that last days. The ones that last a mere second bug me the most. Complete and abrupt shut down and then power is right back up. I would like a UPS unit that simply allows me to maybe finish a task or two and shut down my PC properly. Also to have steady power going into the PSU.

So basically I'm wondering how much VA should my UPS have for my needs?

I do use a basic APC power surge bar. (See attached pic)

Thank you.

74922_fl.png

I'd start by spending a few $$$ on a "Kill A Watt." http://www.p3international.com/products/p4400.html That's the only way to determine what your rig is really using when you're using it. I'm commissioning a new server and it idles at under 40 watts and uses about 140 when crunching Rosetta on all cores/threads. That's a pretty wide range. (This PSU calculator estimates 170 watts which isn't too far off for worst case, I suppose: https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator)

Then look at VA rating for total load to make sure it holds the system up and WH rating for how long it will hold the system up. And then decide if you need pure sine wave or can get by with a square wave.

When looking for a UPS for your PC, you want something with:

- Pure sinewave output
- Active PFC (Power Factor Correction)
- AVR (Automatic Voltage Regulation)

I have one of these on each of my PCs:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00429N19W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The unit can supply power at 900W for 5 minutes. At 150 W, about 90 minutes.

The LCD display can be configured to display many things. I have mine display power draw...so I always know what my system is drawing.

My typical power draws are:

- Machine 1 (the Sith): 800 W
- Machine 2 (Little Folder) + Networking equipment (NAS, Switch, Router, Cable Modem, TV tuner, etc): 475 W

If you plug the USB cable in, Windows sees the UPS as a battery backup. My machines run Folding@Home 24/7. I have these set to "pause on battery". So, when the power goes out, the PC power draw drops to under 150 W.

In addition to having battery backup ports, this UPS also has surge suppression ports. For example, don't plug a laser printer or high power stereo set into the battery backup...but you plug these into the surge suppressor.

If you have multiple "wall wart" type AC/DC power supplies to plug in, these are nice to avoid covering up precious battery backup slots:

https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Ext...rd_wg=kscz5&psc=1&refRID=G3MR1GHT2HDME68D3BGR

You can plug a power strip into the battery backup plugs if you run out.

Good luck!

This one should be more than adequate even if you're overclocked:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16842301505

I'm using the APC ES 550 models in my sig (330 watts) and it's more than I'll ever need. These give me about 4-5 minutes time to shut down manually and the same if I'm not here to do it. Your unit is hotter with higher end video. Don't plug your monitor into the battery backup side, just the surge side. Your power supply is at least double and more of what you need so don't gauge a UPS by your power supply output.

Thanks for the advice,

Read about Pure Sinewave Output, seems like a good feature to have but what I think I'll do is keep an eye out for a good sale.

Pure Sinewave Output is more of a requirement with todays power efficient PSUs, as many will fail to operate if the PSU does not output a pure sine wave. Basically, if your PSU is rated Bronze or higher, you will need a UPS with a Pure Sine Wave output. Cyberpower is currently the best bang for your buck. You won't find cheaper unless you go for used or refurb.

This one should be more than adequate even if you're overclocked:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16842301505

I'm using the APC ES 550 models in my sig (330 watts) and it's more than I'll ever need. These give me about 4-5 minutes time to shut down manually and the same if I'm not here to do it. Your unit is hotter with higher end video. Don't plug your monitor into the battery backup side, just the surge side. Your power supply is at least double and more of what you need so don't gauge a UPS by your power supply output.

Yeah I know I can't look at my PSU since it's as you said double of what I'm using. I bought it only because it was half price so I figured why not?

I like JrClocker suggestion of the sinewave UPS but I don't think I need a 900W UPS? I could probably get away with something in the range of 500W for my needs? Would be nice to be able to charge my cell phone in case of a longer power outtage.

https://www.amazon.ca/CyberPower-CP...498912253&sr=8-1&keywords=cyberpower+sinewave

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Last edited:
That would probably be OK for just your PC now, but you might want to plug other things into them to. Plus, you have to see how long it will run on just battery at that power rating.

You can damage a UPS if you run it over it's rated power.

That would probably be OK for just your PC now, but you might want to plug other things into them to. Plus, you have to see how long it will run on just battery at that power rating.

You can damage a UPS if you run it over it's rated power.

Ok fair point. Also, is it ok to pull an extension chord from the UPS across the room (to where my modem is forced to stay due to where the phone jack is) so I can plug that in as well? Or should I look to getting a long phone cable instead?

You can run extension cords and power strips out of them...as long you don't go over the VA or power rating of the UPS.

Just don't plug high inrush current devices (like laser printers or high power audio amps) into the battery backup...just the surge suppressor plugs...as they can exceed the VA rating when they first turn on.

The plan is quite simple...

Surge Plugs
Monitors 2x
Speakers/Sub

Battery backup
PC-PSU chord
Modem
Laptop

That's pretty much it.

I don't own anything else except for a TV box which is from the cable provider and if it dies it doesn't matter.

How loud are these UPS units?

The one I suggested makes no noise...except for beeping when the power goes out...but you can mute that.

Thanks JrClocker.

I also appreciate everyone else who contributed to this post.

Thanks JrClocker.

I also appreciate everyone else who contributed to this post.

As Jr stated, and I am seeing two monitors now, a bigger unit won't hurt depending on your budget. When you have one setup correctly, it's "Set it and forget it" if you're not home to turn them off a power outage.

One other item: Backup UPS won't protect on a direct / close hit lightning strike. Pull your Internet / cable connection.

Back